Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Three Feminist Book Recommendations

Manifesta by Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards: I finished it last week, and I would definitely recommend it to those who want a good Third Wave overview.  There’s a lot of emphasis on feminist history and the relationships between generations, which to me is more interesting than a simple timeline of waves.  They do a good job at showing, not telling, interweaving stories throughout the book.

Our Bodies, Ourselves (the new edition): This is a bit of a mixed review.  I recommend it, because it’s huge and comprehensive and has a lot of great charts that lay out things we need to know about everything from anatomy to nutrition to STIs.  What I don’t like, and it’s not really a complaint because these things are important to women, but… well, what I don’t like is that the book made me feel quite isolated.  A lot of space is dedicated to menstruation (I don’t menstruate), sex with men (don’t do that one either), and pregnancy/children (not interested).  They do make an effort to be very inclusive, which I like, but there were things that got to me, like the separate chapters for relationships with men and relationships with women.  The organization didn’t make a lot of sense, and it was odd the way they did the sections.  That said, it’s a great reference guide to keep around for your body-related questions.

Bitchfest (anthology): Oh, hells to the fucking yeah.  This collection of essays includes cultural criticism from a feminist perspective over ten years of Bitch magazine’s existence (1996-2006), covering all sorts of topics.  I love the women who submitted essays, and I love the range of topics included.  There are plenty of things you wouldn’t necessarily think about, but it’s accessible to someone who isn’t a big pop culture fan as well.  It covers topics from lesbian novels to slash fanfiction to the Guerilla Girls, and is a must read for young feminists.

No comments:

Post a Comment