Saturday, September 12, 2009

Books, Books, Books

I’ve been reading a bunch lately and wanted to pass on a few good reads:

Revelation by CJ Sansom

I read one of his books earlier this year (Winter in Madrid) and really love his writing style. He is very clear, easy to read, but yet makes you really think. This one is a murder mystery and is part of a series based on the character Matthew Shardlake. It is set at the beginning of all the religious craziness with Henry VIII. I will warn you that it does get a bit gruesome, but I think much of that is really due to historically what was going on at the time was pretty gruesome. I’m a sucker for anything set in England and the fact that it’s a series totally sucks me in too. I can’t wait to get another one of his to read!

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

I just finished this little gem the other night. It was killing me because I seriously wasn’t able to find the time to sit and read it. It is also set in England (told you I’m a sucker) just after World War II in the countryside. It is pretty much a super ghost story. It’s got some crazy twists and turns and I really, really loved reading her. She too was an easy read, but kept you on your toes thinking. I will say that I was a little let down with the ending. I won’t give it away, but sometimes books just end and there is nothing dramatic that happens and this one was sort of along those lines.

Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James

A friend recommended this book to me a while back and I finally got it on loan from the library and loved it so much I ended up buying it. I’m still only about half way through it, but honestly think it’s a must have for any parent of boys. Just reading the first part where he goes through the stages of boyhood made me nod my head. There were SO many things that he mentioned that were going on in my little 6 year old Rooster and suggestions for how to nurture those things that I was sitting and crying out “where was this book when my Rooster was 4 and driving us nuts with tantrums and such?!”

[Via http://daisyeyes.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment