Thursday, September 10, 2009

Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott

Title: Love You Hate You Miss You

Author: Elizabeth Scott

Rating: 9.5/10

Good If…You’re a fan of Scott’s previous novels or are looking for a semi-serious book.

Summary: (Taken from BN.com)

Get this, I’m supposed to be starting a journal about “my journey.” Please. I can see it now: Dear Diary, As I’m set adrift on this crazy sea called “life” . . . I don’t think so.

It’s been seventy-five days. Amy’s sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her.

And she’s really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia’s gone now, and she doesn’t want to talk about it. They wouldn’t get it, anyway. They wouldn’t understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you.

They wouldn’t understand what it feels like to know it’s your fault.

Amy’s shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia.

But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn’t as perfect as she thought it was—and the present deserves a chance too.

My Thoughts: Elizabeth Scott is slowly making her way to being my All-Time Favorite Author (Meg Cabot currently holds the spot!). I’ve found it close to impossible to put down any book of hers once I’ve started and Love You Hate You Miss You was no different.

It never ceases to amaze me that Scott can write anything from fluffy romances to dark, heart breaking books. Love You Hate You Miss You is in the middle. It’s not fluffy. At all. Or even a romance, really. But it’s nowhere near as dark as what I’m sure Living Dead Girl is. Despite that, it was incredibly well-written. The prose, whether it was Amy’s diary entries or the regular chapters, flowed well and drew the reader into the story.

While Amy was a well-developed character, my one problem with the book was the secondary characters. So many of them were introduced but very few were developed at all and none of them developed well. I would have loved to gotten to know more of them better.

The ending, in my mind, was perfect. Things didn’t fit into a Happily Ever After ending and that’s not what they got. But, there was a ton of hope and it fit the story really well.

Overall, I definitely recommend this to all fans of Scott’s previous novels and to anyone looking for quick but heartbreaking book.

[Via http://harmonybookreviews.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment