Monday, September 28, 2009

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

So over the past couple of weeks for school I was reading the book Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. It was a very interesting book to say the least. I never expected it to be anything like how it was based on its title. It was a good book with a very sad ending. If you haven’t read this book and might read it in the future don’t continue reading!

Okay so in the beginning I gave George a lot of credit for staying with Lennie and never ditching him, but then the more I read I realized how controlling and mean George was to Lennie. So then I became unsure of my views on George. But I was always sure I loved Lennie. Lennie was always the innocent lost character. Throughout the book I kept hoping that George and Lennie would be able to buy their land and start a little farm, sadly to find out at the end of the book that would never happen.  The ending also made me very crazy. I couldn’t believe that George would kill Lennie. I kept yelling no he was mentally challenged he didn’t know any better. The whole ending is controversial I guess, but its hard to think there could have been any good logical reason to take a man’s life because of a mistake. But then again this was the 1930’s and I wasn’t around so maybe there was logic to this then.

This book raised a lot of questions for me that I am still trying to figure out, some of which are..

Why is this an American Classic?

What sparked John Steinbeck to write this?

Where was John Steinbeck when he wrote this novel?

Was there any sense of reality for him while writing this?

I recommend reading this book  even  just to be able to say I read an American Classic.





No comments:

Post a Comment