Sunday, September 13, 2009

Complications of a Young Black Man

I am a very interesting terrestrial being. I’m definitely not your average cat and I truly mean that. Sometimes, I’m super corporate and love pitching ideas, get funding, and do highly technical software engineering. Other times, I like bangin’ Tupac Ambitionz as a Ridah while mobbin’ through the Bay Area. Being a young black man is fairly tough in America. When I’m up in corporations, I’m always rare. You hear me? I’m always only a handful of young black men or women that do software development for major corporations.

Young Black Men and Women must fight to overcome

I used to think that was cool and be infatuated with being the first young black something up in the corporate world. I’ve been shit on in corporations more times than you can think of. I’ve been let go from contracts and jobs when other people securely kept their jobs and livelihood intact (and I’m not talkin’ about this recession only). I stood by in Oakland when all the cops beat Rodney King to a pulp on video camera and they were all found NOT GUILTY. I’ve seen Sean Bell, another young black man, gunned down in the streets on the way to his wedding in New York and all the white cops free to live great lives.

I’ve seen Indians come into the marketplace and job place and look at me like I’m crazy and I remember a time when there was one Indian guy at the job in Oakland. No others at all. They weren’t even really in the country like that back in the early 1990’s. I had to fight against white people kicking me out of the corporation and fight Indians trying to keep me out of the corporation. All in all, it seems like the world loves to have a young black man poor, stripped of everything and broke like you ain’t shit. It’s true. Trust me.

To counteract all this American bullshit, I’ve had to become an entrepreneur and learn how to make my money outside of these clearly racist corporations. I had to think to win or sink or swim. I had to find out how a young black man makes it in this world without depending upon others for my sustenance. Hasn’t been easy but I encourage all young black men and women to think for themselves. Corporate America which is now Indian America loves to have us be the last cats in the job. With Indians doing the hiring, every single time they see me, they decide I have no skills even though I know way more than them. I’ve truly been forced to think on my feet. Improvise. Think wisely and smartly every single day so that I can feed and have a great life for me and my daughter.

I spend a great deal of time on her and her education because I know the world would rather see me and her as broke ass niggas. I know this for fact. I am a recipient of it and have lost thousands of dollars and lost personal belongings because of this reality in America. The thing is though, these negative people and influences cannot stop a true leader. A true leader learns to overcome all this bullshit that’s thrown at us and learns to hit curve balls and off speed pitches. America will always try to render us the Walmart worker and have us not make shit. We must overcome this and make money on our own without depending upon corporate systems to always get a job.

[Via http://undagroundmilli.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment