Thursday, April 2, 2009

Book Review: Out of the Blue by Belinda Jones

Selena Harper always thought she had the perfect job: working on a luxury cruiseship, she’s whisked around the world from Alaska to Zanzibar with excitement and adventure awaiting her in every port. But as she prepares for her latest shore-leave - and finds herself unexpectedly deserted by her newly-engaged best friend - she begins to wonder if life on the ocean wave really is her dream come true. Why is she the only one who isn’t settling down? And how can she be feeling homesick when she has no home? On a whim, she agrees to spend a week on the idyllic island of Crete, in the company of Alekos, a man she’s convinced is an incorrigible womaniser. Steeped in mythology, the island soon starts to work its magic on Selena - and, more worryingly, so does Alekos. Is he really the cad she’s always thought him to be? Or could it turn out that his home is where her heart is? Read my review underneath…

One thing you can count on with a Belinda Jones novel is the beautiful descriptions of all of the countries her novels take you to. I’ve loved all of her novels I’ve read so far (Cafe Tropicana, Divas Las Vegas & The California Club) and would have a hard time picking a favourite. It would probably be the one I’ve just finished: Out of the Blue.

The descriptions of Greece were fantastic and I really want to go to Crete after reading the book. It sounds like such a beautiful place. The book itself was fanastic. I saw the twists coming I have to say but that didn’t really put me off or make the book any less enjoyable.

I thought all the characters were great, bar Jules. Selena and Alekos were touching but funny with each other and that kept the book going. Alekos did seem full-on but after learning his reasons, it was understandable. It’s actually a good thing to read about a man who IS serious about having a relationship and isn’t worried about showing feelings.

The minor characters were great, I loved Greg and glad he got a happy ending. Cherry and Richard were also great. Jules was irritating throughout the whole book and I can’t believe how devious she was. Who needs ememies with a friend like her?

I think my only problems with the book as not learning why Jules didn’t marry Dom and how Alekos hurt his hand in the first place which made Selena go to Greece with him. Apart from that I flew through the book and didn’t want to put it down or want it to end. A great read and I can’t wait for Belinda’s next novel.

Rating: 5/5

Send in your reviews: chicklitclub@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment