Friday, April 24, 2009

Book Review: Introducing Paul

Introducing Paul The Man, His Mission and His Message

By Michael F. Bird

ISBN: 978-0-8308-2897-5

Introducing Paul is my first encounter with Michael F. Bird. I must say that I was very favorably impressed. He is a good writer. His writing is easily understood. His style is comfortable to me.

Bird takes Paul, studies his life, writings, backgrounds, travels, and theology. That could make for boring reading, or very interesting reading. It would be difficult to fall anywhere between the two. Thankfully, Bird made this interesting.

Bird’s approach to Paul is relatively conservative, for which I am grateful. While he does not pretend to give us a complete biography, he shows us that we can all learn more about Paul’s life. Bird’s coverage of Paul’s intentions, missionary work, and writings are good, too.

I was especially grateful for the overview of Paul’s theology. Bird did a good job with that as well as the rest of the book. While this is not intended to be a systematic theology based upon the Pauline corpus, it is none the less a good overview of what Paul had to say.

The one drawback I saw was regarding Paul’s views of roles of women. I believe Bird could have gone further and stated Paul’s teaching a little more plainly.

As a whole, this book is a five star book. It takes a large, difficult subject and presents it in a concise, accurate, and interesting manner.

I recommend it to all Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment