Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Top Five Reads of 2009

For some reason I didn’t read my usual quota of books in a year (yeah, the first part of the year was a bit unsettling for me).

At any rate, here are my top five from those I was able to read:

1.  The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning.  I remain a big Manning fan.  This title is about embracing and truly letting Abba’s love engulf you.

2.  The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmoly and Origins Debate by John Walton.  Written on a semi-technical level, this introduction a larger work by prof. Walton is quite engaging.  I believe he’s made a solid case, like a few others, for a functional understand of the Creation narrative.

3.  Paul: A Brief Insight by E.P. Sanders.  This was actually my first entire read of Sanders.  I had read portion here and there.  Now I’m looking forward to his groundbreaking Paul and Palestian Judaism in 2010.

4.  The Preaching of Jonathan Edwards by John Carrick.  Both theist and atheist refer to Edwards as one of, if not, the top philosopher-theologian that American has ever produced.  This title by Carrick takes us into the study and pulpit of Mr. Edwards, that learned New Englang divine.

5.  The Conversion of the Imagination: Paul as Interpreter of Israel’s Scripture byRichard B. Hays.  This title is sort of a follow up to Richard B. Hays Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul, which I’m looking forward to reading in 2010.  Every seroius student of Paul and Letters needs to read The Conversion of the Imagination.

Right now I’m reading James D.G. Dunn’s The New Perspective in Paul.  It certainly will take me into 2010.

[Via http://newleaven.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment