Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blood Roses and Other Reviews You May Have Missed

Over the next couple of days I’m going to be adding some book reviews that I did prior to this blog’s inception. Consider this like a public service announcement.

This is the first one.

To read my review of Blood Roses by Francesca Lia Block click below to continue. All my reviews, including this one, are available on my GoodReads page. Some reviews may contain spoilers.

GoodReads Book Description: What shall we do, all of us? All of us passionate girls who fear crushing the boys we love with our mouths like caverns of teeth, our mushrooming brains, our watermelon hearts? What’s real is what’s imagined in nine tales of transformation by Francesca Lia Block.

Rating:

Recommended For: Teen and tween segment and lovers of the lyrical word.

My Review: It is hard for me not to love and likewise embrace the beauty in Francesca Lia Block’s lyrical style of writing as her stories have captivated me for so many years now. Despite this fact, or maybe because of it, I expect a bit more from Francesca Lia Block than what Blood Roses delivers. The book (filled with nine stories about transition) is not without hope though – it seems to get progressively better as it continues. The first few stories left me feeling detached from the characters and wond…more It is hard for me not to love and likewise embrace the beauty in Francesca Lia Block’s lyrical style of writing as her stories have captivated me for so many years now. Despite this fact, or maybe because of it, I expect a bit more from Francesca Lia Block than what Blood Roses delivers. The book (filled with nine stories about transition) is not without hope though – it seems to get progressively better as it continues. The first few stories left me feeling detached from the characters and wondering why I should care what happened to them (particularly Blood Roses (the story for which the book is titled) and Giant. At some point though Francesca Lia Block hits her stride and finishes by weaving the agonizingly beautiful tales she is so famous for. Skin Art, in my opinion, is the best of the nine stories. Honorable mention to Horses Are a Girl’s Best Friend, Wounds and Wings, and My Boyfriend is an Alien.

[Via http://benedictionary.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment