Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games

I heard about this book on the Nest Book Club board, people kept reading it and it seemed everyone who did couldn’t stop talking about how good it was. I put it on my paperbackswap.com list, but the wait was like 150 weeks or something, and I was so curious that I broke down and bought it. (A 40% off coupon for joining Borders rewards helped persuade me)

Anyway I started the book on Sunday morning and finished it last night. I could NOT put it down! It was one of the best books I’ve read in awhile, pretty much the definition of a page-turner. The premise of the story is that it’s set in North America in the distant future. The country is separated into 12 districts which are run by the Capitol. A long time ago there was a rebellion against the Capitol, and in order to keep the people in line, they have a competition once a year called The Hunger Games. Every teenager from 12-18 has their name entered in a drawing. They also have the option of entering their names more than once in order to get a food supplement, which most of them do. They pick one boy and one girl every year to compete in the games, which is actually a battle to the death. 24 people compete and only one comes out alive. The main character is a girl named Katniss, who takes care of her mother and little sister after their father dies. She hunts illegally in order to make sure they are fed. This year, her little sister’s name is drawn for the Hunger Games, and Katniss volunteers to take her place, knowing that she’ll never survive.

It sounds like the type of thing I wouldn’t normally be interesting to me since I’m not really into Sci-Fi, but it was amazing. I became totally immersed in this futuristic world, and I just had to find out what was going to happen to Katniss, and the male chosen from her district, Peeta. The whole book was non-stop action and suspense. I was dying to know if they were going to be OK.

After I finished last night I immediately googled and found out that this book is part of a trilogy, and book #2, Catching Fire, is coming out September 1st. I am so excited, I almost pre-ordered it this morning, and that’s something I never do. Have never done, actually. I consider myself fortunate that I don’t have to wait that long for it to come out, because the end of the first book was a total cliffhanger. So if you’re looking for a book full of action, suspense, and a little romance, check this one out! Just make sure you have some free time because you won’t want to put it down!

[Via http://meginmi.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment