Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Twilight vs. Harry Potter

This thing  has been going on since last year, and I’m getting really sick of it.

A fool could tell that I am a Harry Potter fanatic by looking at this blog. (Esp my personality tests results). I don’t think anyone would be able to tell that I am also a Twilight fan. Well, the reason I don’t take twilight personality tests is because my knowledge on Twilight is low, reason being because I did not finish the Twilight series.

So I am no longer obsessed with both and I am going to give you my opinion (which is the same as many others) from a JUST point of view.

But let me tell you my story:

I’m really a bit too young to love Harry Potter, I think it was published when I was 2 . I watched the first movie when I was 7 (it was released that year), so I picked up my first Harry Potter book at the age of 7. I read through the series and eventually was on pace with the movies (now faster than the movies). I was in love with the Harry Potter series … until one fateful day.

I had seen my older cousin reading a book: . I had no idea what it was and why there was an apple on the cover. I was searching up on Robert Pattinson cos he played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and I found the Twilight movie trailer. So, I went to Wikipedia and I saw the cover of the book. I remembered where I saw it from, and I borrowed it form my cousin. I fell in love with Edward Cullen and I said his name day and night. I went on with the series (it was torturing to read, boring, but “i did it for Edward“. yeah. I was that mad.) I was the first girl (i think) in my level to read Twilight. I told my friends the story and they went to check the book out. It spread to a few classes. Eventually, in about a month, my “love” for Edward died down and I realised it that the story is complete … erm, crap. I stopped reading the series halfway through Eclipse, I couldn’t stand it anymore.

So, now that I’m no longer obsessed with both. I’ll give you my point of view on this debate. I have researched all my facts and speak the truth, and the truth is hard:

1. Bestseller List: Every book in the Twilight series has proudly flashed “Bestseller list” on its back. This gives you the idea that Twilight is the bestseller book but I’ll be honest with you: Twilight only made is as far as #5 on the Bestseller lists and New Moon was #3. Only Eclipse made it to #1 and “kicked Harry Potter off it”. Harry Potter is still on #1 in some Bestseller lists. Also, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has been on the Bestseller list a long time before Eclipse was even published! Obviously, the shiny new toy has a higher sale! They didn’t even come out at the same time. But you have to take your Hat off that even though Eclipse was #1, Harry Potter, which has been around much longer, is still on the Bestseller list.

2. Readers: Twilight is only aimed for teenage girls, not really grown woman because they have their senses and maturity. Harry Potter is for all ages, both genders.

3. Creativity: I’ve heard of wizards and witches, but I’ve never seen them all go to a school before. That is some creativity there. I have seen dozens of vampire love stories, which stories are even better than Twilight. The only reason Twilight won is because its more romantic.

4. Realistic: Harry Potter associates with Growing Up, Racism, Good vs Evil, School Life, Sports and many others. Twilight doesn’t really assocaite with growing up, they are kinda grown up. There’s hardly racism, though some black people have commented that they find it offensive that Stephenie keeps using the word “white”. I don’t see a reason why they need to be offended but Stephenie was not really being sensitive. Twilight has no good vs evil, i mean, if you call victoria evil, you obviously have no idea waht evil is. There is school life. Sports? Yeah: Supernatural baseball and Bella falling down non-stop in any sport, or in her everyday life.

5. Characters: Bella is a very bad influence. She’s anything but independant. She relies on males a lot, esp Edward. She keeps falling and that is really getting on my nerves. It’s not cute, or wrong, but she’s acting like a 3 year old. Jacob says he is sad Bella didn’t love him so she asked him to kiss her so that he would feel that she loved him! I mean, Bella is like with Edward already! And that, at that moment, she realised she loved Jacob too (only not as strong as Edward). Bella is also extremely superficial, she keeps comparing her looks with others. That’s where you’re ugly, Bella. Your internal beauty is the ugliest thing to walk the Earth. Bella keeps asking Edward to have sex with her while she’s human, and like… are you a sex-addict Bella? She was like slightly embarassed when she told her father she was still a virgin. God… . Bella willingly says bye to her friends and people who love her and care for her just to be with Edward. That’s not simple in real life, I couldn’t do that so easily to be with the man I love. Bella just waved her hand at them to run off with Edward. She’s being insensitive and selfish. Your friends love you, Bella. Look at you.

 6. Vocabulary: I can’t read a chapter of Harry Potter without looking at the Dictionary at least once. Twilight has horrible vocabulary. I got by the first book knowing every word. There were difficult ones that people didn’t know but I had seen those words a dozen times before. Stepehenie Meyer keeps repeating words especially “white” and “dazzled”. I’ll send Mrs Meyer a Thesaurus in a fan mail.

7. Reason to read: There are so many reasons to read Harry Potter. It’s the character. It’s the magic. It’s the school, the quidditch, voldemort, growing up, all that jazz. I can stand here and look you in the eye and tell you that people only read Twilight for one reason: They are in love with Edward, Jacob or possibly another character. As much as Twilight fans can deny it, you know that’s the only reason you read Twilight. You say the story is magnificent, but you know it’s crap. Gibberish. Boring. Hard core sucks. Sucks big time, REAL big time. And love for this characters is childish and immature! Look, I was once “in love” with Edward, it’s not wrong, but it’s not love either. There are so many nice guys around. It’s called infatuation, it dies off. But girls are clinging on to it like its true love, like Edward loves them back. You can fantasize, its not wrong. But he doesn’t exist. Even if he did, he’s taken. Married. Someone’s husband. Someone’s father. He’s not real, so stop taking it for real love because that is just immature.

I have more points but this is really long already so… yeah. Most Twilight fans would hate me when they read this, and curse me for being obsessed with Harry Potter, but I really am not. I love both books. Okay, I don’t really like Twilight that much anymore. Critics said Harry Potter wins and twilight fans say that they’re being bias to JK Rowling. They’re not bias, it’ a fact.

So, yeah, my conclusion: Harry Potter beats Twilight a trillion times.

No comments:

Post a Comment