Thursday, March 12, 2009

Book Review: Now That You Are Back

Now That You Are Back

Now That You Are Back

By Richard Beeston

Depression is one of those things I struggle to understand. It affects so many people, but it is so hard to recognise what’s going on, to know what to do. I’ve dealt with people struggling with depression, but have never really known how to help. Sure I can listen to them and say nice things, but that’s where I get stuck. If you’ve ever been in that situation, or have had a loved one suffer from depression, you really should read Now That You Are Back.

Now That You Are Back is the story of Richard Beeston and his wife Alison. Alison had long been suffering from depression and related symptoms. It grew worse and worse until Alison was staying in a private hospital with a team of medical professionals trying to bring her back from the edge. The book deals with their struggle to understand what was going on and their reliance on God as their lives turned out differently than planned.

This book is a great resource. Not just for people struggling with depression or caring for a loved one who is struggling. It is a great resource for everyone. It helped me gain a greater understanding of what to look out for, the signs that someone needs help. As a pastor, this is good knowledge to have when I’m looking out for the people God has entrusted to my care. It gives concrete, practical suggestions on how to love and care for people with depression. Now I feel I can take the next step and actually do something useful to help. The book is also packed with places to go for more information.

Now That You Are Back is a easy read. At 80 pages, I knocked it over in an afternoon. And I’m glad I did. Not only did I learn a lot, but I came to love and care for a Christian brother and sister that I have never met. Read this book for yourself, you’ll be thankful you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment