Saturday, January 2, 2010

Touching base

Happy new year! I hadn’t disappeared off the face of the planet, just to the other side of it. We have been in New Zealand visiting family and friends for Christmas. It was a lovely time, much busier than I expected so I have been on an unplanned blogging and reading break. I hope everybody celebrating had a lovely festive season. I can’t wait to catch up on what everybody has been reading over the past few weeks. The next few posts will wrap up some challenges and chat about the two books I did manage to read!

Yellow – Janni Visman

This short novel went on to my wish list when I read Fleur Fisher’s review earlier in the year. It is the story of Stella, an agoraphobic aromatherapist. Unable to leave her apartment, she attempts to quell her anxiety by controlling every minute detail of her environment and daily routines. Even the slightest alteration such as a change in the shoes she is to wear is a momentous event. I found this aspect of her story quite fascinating. I’m not sure what it says about me but I could relate in a way to her desire to simplify everything, to know exactly what she would be doing and how at any moment.

Stella has a partner Ivan who lives with her and deals with her imposed restrictions. The trouble starts for Stella when an uncontrolled change occurs. Ivan is wearing a bracelet and Stella begins to obsess about who it is from and why he is wearing it. With the help of her sister she begins to investigate. Her paranoia and jealousy grow as she trys to control something she can’t.

I enjoyed this book a lot and have left it with my Mum to read. It’s engrossing and short and would be great to curl up with over a weekend if you can make it last that long!

This was my final read for the Colourful reading and Read your name challenges.

[Via http://giraffeelizabeth.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment