Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Review of Jonathan Kellerman’s “Bad Love”

Though I’m not an ardent follower of Jonathan Kellerman’s books, when I do come across one, I will generally pick it up. Bad Love is one of Kellerman’s popular Alex Delaware novels. Delaware is a child psychologist who tends to find himself helping his good friend Det. Milo Sturgis solve complex crimes.

In Bad Love, Delaware is the object of odd threats, such as having his koi skewered and the tape of a child saying “bad love” over and over. Delaware remembers the phrase “bad love” was used by a child psychiatrist at a 1979 symposium that Delaware co-sponsored. When Delaware investigates further, he discovers many of the people associated with the symposium have died. Sturgis also connects the phrase with other murders that have happened over the years.

As usual, Kellerman plots a great story that is filled with many twists as you seek to understand the mind of a killer. Kellerman also does a good job of maintaining the suspense so that the reader is dying to know whodunit and why at the end of the novel.

So if I enjoyed the book (and I did), you might wonder why I’m not a bigger fan of Kellerman’s. I wish I could stay. I’ve read many of the Alex Delaware novels and enjoyed them all to varying degrees, but I can’t say why Kellerman’s not one of my favorites. I bet Dr. Delaware could tell me why if I talked to him, but I guess that won’t be happening.

[Via http://jimsbookblog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment