Sunday, October 18, 2009

Book Review: Heaven Can Wait

Title: Heaven Can Wait

Author: Cally Taylor

ISBN: 978-1-409-10323-3

Pages: 375

Blurb on the back: I held his face in my hands and kissed him back. I felt that life just couldn’t get any more perfect. I was right, it wouldn’t…..

Lucy Brown is the happiest she’s ever been. She’s about to marry the man of her dreams – kind, handsome, witty Dan – and everything she’s always wanted is finally within her reach. But the night before her wedding Lucy has a fatal accident.

She is offered a choice: accept a lifetime’s separation from her soul mate to go to heaven or stay with Dan forever… and become a ghost. For Lucy, there is only one option – she will not leave Dan. But it turns out things aren’t quite as easy as that. If Lucy wants to become a ghost she has to find true love for a complete stranger…

And when she discovers that her so-called friend Anna is determined to make a move on the heartbroken, vulnerable Dan, the pressure really is on….

My Review:  I’ve already reviewed this book on Amazon but I wanted to do a more in depth review for my blog.  So if you haven’t read this book yet ( why the hell not!?!) and don’t want it to be spoiled.  Then click away but do come back once you’ve read it!

I’ve been dying for a chance to read this book ever since I first found Cally’s blog many many moons ago.  I was never in any doubt that when I first got in contact with Cally (and HCW was only a few thousand words long) that she would find an agent, get a publisher and I would get the chance to read her words.  And a few days ago I got that chance.

This is an outstanding debut novel.  I was gripped from the first chapter.  I connected with the main character Lucy and I cared for her.  I wanted to know that she got her happily ever after, despite the fact she was dead.  I could not put this book down, I ended up reading it in just under 24 hours.  I was laughing, I was crying, I was hooked into the world of the living dead.

I was always a little bit wary of the supernatural content in the book.  I’ve read supernatural chick lit in the past and it’s really disappointed me but I kept an open mind with this one and the supernatural content in Heaven Can Wait is handled, for me, in a perfect way.  The limbo/Heaven or ghost option/tasks sounds like something that could happen.  It seemed very real which is unusual for a supernatural story.  For me this is probably the best supernatural chick lit book I’ve read and that’s probably thanks to Cally’s superb story telling and style of writing; the characters were likeable, the story was gripping and the feeling of being grateful for the people you have in your life made this book brilliant.  I was left thinking about the story and it’s meaning well after I’d finished reading it.  THAT for me is the sign of a good story.

Cally Taylor is definitely onto a winner with this book and by all accounts it’s flying off the shelves of bookshops up and down the country.  If you want this book, and I highly recommend that you do, I would get to your bookshops now!  Can’t wait for the next novel!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment