Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Umbrellas, Unbrellas, Rebrellas... Oh my.

I’m a sucker for a good dark fantasy novel. Un Lun Dun didn’t disappoint. It’s full of cleverness, delightfulness, and bizareness. I wondered at first if Un Lun Dun would be at all like Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere (and I think a lot of people have the same thought before reading Un Lun Dun). It is nothing like Neverwhere (though Miéville did get advice from Neil Gaiman while writing his story since Un Lun Dun does deal with a parallel London). But it’s just as good. It’s entertaining. It has action, danger. It’s heartwarming and creepy all at once. It’s incredibly inventive. At every turn of the page I thought to myself “this is genius!” about something Miéville thought up.

Loved it. LOVED it.

If you like dark fantasy, if you like middle grade novels that have an adult edge, if you like creepy, magical tales with characters you wish you could be friends with, go read this book. Go. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment