Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning - Lemony Snicket

This is the story of three children who are orphaned at a young age. They are then ‘looked after’ by a cousin.

I started this book with immense interest as I do like to see what the majority is reading. I was not excited by it. We are told at several points that this is not a nice book and nice things do not happen to the children. I felt the tone of the whole book was very patronising. I did, however, like the way concepts, phrases and even words were explained. A lot of books talk about things and expect the reader to know, but I’ve found that a number of children don’t bother to ask and it helps to have them explained within the book. In my eyes it was the only redeeming feature. You can find it for sale here.

No comments:

Post a Comment