Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Yellow Lighted Bookshop

What can be more wonderful to a biblophile like me, than, a book about books.  I first heard about ‘The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop at Danielle’s blog. A quick peek at the front page thanks to amazon.com and I was looking for my own copy. Kapil’s timely trip to US made it possible for me to buy the book.

Lewiz Buzbee’s book is basically a tribute to the love of reading and selling books. The book draws heavily from his experience of decades as independent bookstore employee as well as publishing sales rep. We get glimpses of what goes behind the scenes at bookstores. What truly made this book an enjoyable read was the way I could relate to reverence towards books that the author has and that I share.

I will jot down some observations that Lewis makes..that me want to read this book again and again

‘When I walk into a bookstore, any bookstore, first thing in the morning, I’m flooded with a sense if hushed excitement…’

‘Books connect us with others, but that connection is created in solitude, one reader in one chair hearing one writer, what John Irving refers to as one genius speaking to another’

‘ There, face to face, over the elbow polished wood of the counter, bookseller and customer share a silent but telling moment. Travel guides, cookbooks, a book on divorce, one about ailing parents, baby names…..its a little like looking into another person’s heart.’

Lewis also provides the reader some background and history on the origin of books , publishers and bookstores. Its informative though slightly text-bookish at times. But I am not complaining. As long its about books , its fine.

One of the several stories and trivia that Lewis sprinkes across the book , the most profound is the one about the publication of the masterpiece ‘Ulysses’ . This story truly indicates the influence booksellers and publishers can have the on the current socio-political scene of a country / generation.

I took away a lot away from the book, substantial general knowledge , pleasure in knowing that more people in the world have same passion for books and a stronger resolve to try to make a career in the world of books. Someday.

Verdict : Must buy ( only if you love books)

No comments:

Post a Comment