Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Book review 8

After naming Tamora Pierce one of the Strong Women in my previous post, I figured it would be a good time to review one of her books that I’ve read this year!

Terrier is set in the Tortall universe – a few hundred years before Alanna, Jonathan, George Cooper and all the beloved characters of the Lioness books. Beka is George’s ancestor and she has some unusual talents. Beka is a puppy – a rookie law enforcment officer. She also has a companion that we know and love from the Alanna series!

While this book is set in Tortall, this isn’t the Tortall we are accustomed to visiting! Life seems harsher at least for those who are not the rulers! Beka grew up in the Lower City so she knows the people quite well. Her unusual talents and her interest in justice attract the attention of the Provost who rescues her family and helps start Beka on her career.

She meets some intriguing people in this adventure. I think I know what will happen with the relationships between some of them but I’m not at all certain. I thought it was interesting that there was a lady knight and I wonder how the world will have forgotten that when Alanna comes along. I also thought it was interesting to hear about the city from an earlier time period. I must admit I had a hard time when they talked about Roger since he was such a villian in the Alanna series! But of course this was a different Roger!

I did have some trouble with the vernacular that is used a lot in the book. But once I found the glossary, I was able to make certain that I was getting it right.

I think the book is a wonderful addition to the Tortall world. And once again Tamora has created a very credible young woman hero who doubts herself and overcomes those doubts to make her world a safer place. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment