Wednesday, June 3, 2009

In the Mail

I got my order from the WTS bookstore today!  You can’t beat that.  I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today.  I only live about 45 minutes from WTS so it’s not too surprising.  In any event, all of the books look great.  Two things I noticed that bothered me though was transliterated Greek in both Frame’s and Kelly’s books.  If you know Greek then you don’t need a transliteration and if you don’t know it then they don’t help anyway. 

I also got two boxes from Oxford University Press.  The first contained Peter Widdicombe’s The Fatherhood of God from Origen to Athanasius.  The second box has Sara Parvis’ Marcellus of Ancyra and the Lost Years of the Arian Controversy 325–345 as well as Norman Russell’s The Doctrine of Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition.  This last one is going to make a great companion to one of the books my mom just got me.  I decided that Widdicombe’s was a ‘must read’ after having read a couple of articles* of his on the same subject.  As I understand it this is his revised doctoral dissertation  so I’m expecting a couple hundred pages of technical goodness!  Since Widdicombe’s volume is directly relevant to the doctrine of the Trinity I might see if I can get it reviewed this month.  Time will tell. 

B”H

* Widdicombe, Peter. “Father and the Conception of God in Early Greek Christian Literature.” Anglican Theological Review 82/3 (2000): 519-36.

––––––. “The Fathers on the Father in the Gospel of John.” Semeia 85 (1999): 105-25. 

––––––. “Justin Martyr and the Fatherhood of God.” Laval Théologique et Philosophique 54/1 (1998): 109-26.

No comments:

Post a Comment