Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Not Quite A Husband by Sherry Thomas

Insomnia, you strike again!  Was it the 16oz iced white mocha or the shitty contest score sans published judge’s comments I received this evening?  Either way, it’s 1:15 in the Ante Meridiem and I’m wide awake.  Lucky for me, I have a brand spanking new historical romance to keep me company.

The inimitable, erudite and all-around badass Ms. Sherry Thomas’ third novel laid down today.  Not Quite A Husband, the story of a lady doctor at the turn of the last century who gambled her heart on a gorgeous, unattainable man and lost, is well…frickin’ awesome.  I’m about one third of the way through it and I have to say this story may turn out to be my favorite Sherry story yet.

It has all the elements I love: a reunion of former lovers (see plotline of my historical manuscript), an exotic locale (have I mentioned I’m tired of London??) and crisp, evocative writing (“Now his profile had become angular and precipitous, like the bleak heights that concealed the Kalash Valleys.”).  And while I enjoyed Private Arrangements and Delicious, Not Quite A Husband is firing on all cylinders for me .

Sigh.  It’s so unfair that the day I roll snake-eyes in a contest, I pick up this book and wonder how Sherry makes it look so easy (though I’m assured it wasn’t).  For a taste of this delectable treat for the romantically inclined, check out Sherry’s hilarious book trailer below.  Oh, and fair warning – Sherry and I share an appreciation for the precise usage of vulgar words to cover the full spectrum of word function, so if you don’t like to hear or read the F-bomb dropped like a guided missile into a underground bunker skip the trailer and the book.  Your loss because it fuckin’ rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment