Sunday, March 7, 2010

His January and February Reads... Better Late Than Never!

January 2010:

  • The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs (reviewed here)
  • Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (reviewed here)
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (both reviewed here)
  • The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro – This was an AWESOME book and I can’t wait for the next one in the series to come out because once I finished reading this one I was stuck hungering for more.  It felt like there was an almost a mythical tale being told behind the scenes of the main story and that it had a rich sense of folklore at it’s base.  I hope that the next story scratches deeper beneath the surface to expose more about the ancient ones and that they play a bigger role!
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – The Hunger Games series so far is wonderfully fantastic! This book lived up to everything I was expecting after reading the first book and I really feel like the characters have depth (which is nice to find in a book for teens!)  I am patiently waiting with baited breath for the third and final book of this series to come out so that I can dive back into that universe and see what happens next.
  • Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman – This was a fun and quick read! I think that it’s one I would have a fun time reading to a child and I hope to find more short but exciting books like this to read to my kid(s) when the time comes because I think it would spark their imagination and hopefully get them into reading too!

February 2010:

  • Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead – I really donno what to say about this one. I can’t tell if I just didn’t like it or if I’m through with the series because I feel like after three books that the characters are stagnant and boring. What I mean is that all of the main characters are pretty much exactly the same now as they were when the story started and although some interesting things have happened I feel like I’m stuck watching characters that refuse to grow, and it’s frustrating. There was a twist at the end that might be enough of a saving grace to get me to read the next book, but right now I feel like I’ve gotten everything out of the Vampire Academy universe that there is to offer.
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – Me and the coauthor of this blog (my wonderful girlfriend!) decided to reread the Harry Potter series so that we could have discussions about each book and I have to say that it’s one of my favorite things we’ve ever done together! It had been almost a decade since I last read this book and I swear it must of gotten better since then. There was a whole new vibe to the book that I think came from knowing how the full story played out and as such it gave me quite a bit to think about. I think Rowling really knows how to weave a story and give her characters incredible depth, and if you’re one of the 30 people of so who have not read this book I definitely recommend it.

I also started Under the Dome by Stephen King but am still in the middle of reading that one (it’s just under 1100 pages, so it’s like reading 3 books I’d say!)

[Via http://mtqt.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment